An English Breakfast (the Jamaican way) consists of baked beans (with/without onions), plantain, fried dumplings, toast, fried egg, and you could have ackee and saltfish with it.
So this is what you are going to need:
- Self-raising flour
- Sea Salt
- Free range eggs (this type doesn’t have to be used)
- A tin of baked beans
- Olive oil
- Cayenne pepper
- Mix as much self-raising flour that you want with some water and some salt.
- Mix and knead until it becomes like dough.
- Break small/large (depending on how big you want your dumplings to be) pieces of dough and roll it in your hand till it becomes a ball shape.
- Place at least 5 into a dutch pot filled with hot oil. Be careful!
- Whilst the dumplings are frying, slice some onions (if you want them) and place into a pan with a spoonful of melting butter. Fry them for a while, but not till it becomes golden brown. You want to preserve the flavor.
- Turn over the dumplings and leave to fry the other side.
- Just before adding the baked beans, add a shake or two of cayenne pepper.
- Stir the beans and add another spoon or two of butter and gently stir.
- The dumplings should be done now. If there is still some dough left, just repeat the steps until they are cooked.
Tip: To test if the dumplings are done, place a fork into the top. If no dough comes off on it, then they are ready to eat.